Broccoli Salad with Bacon & Toasted Seeds
It’s not the heavy with fat broccoli salad you remember.
prep: 15-20 mins
cook: 30 minutes to overnight
About this Recipe
This lightly dressed, chilled broccoli salad is great for picnics, potlucks, and other casual get-togethers. The mayonnaise-free dressing adds a boost of bright flavor thanks to the fresh lemon juice and zest, while the crisp-tender broccoli and pumpkin seeds add a satisfying crunch.
If you have the time, make this recipe the night before. The extra time will allow the flavors to blend more thoroughly.
- 1 5 oz container of Yoplait YQ yogurt, plain
- one pinch Stevia powder
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon zest (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- ½ small red onion, outer skin removed and cut into thin slices
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 6 slices bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
- ¼ c. fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 c. toasted pumpkin seeds, unsalted
- You can substitute non-flavored Greek yogurt, but it will change the macros. I use YQ because it’s the LOWEST CARB yogurt out there at 2 grams per serving.
- Use another prefered sweetener if you choose.
- Fat 54% 54%
- Carbs 16% 16%
- Protein 30% 30%
Step by Step Instructions
To make the dressing, combine the yogurt, sweetener (if using), lemon juice, and zest in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
Add the broccoli florets to a large, microwave-safe dish and add 2-3 T. water. Cover and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes, or until florets are crisp tender. (Check after 3 minutes and adjust cooking times accordingly).
Remove from microwave and drain excess liquid. Set aside, uncovered, and allow steamed florets to cool.
In a large glass or other non-reactive bowl, combine the red onion, broccoli, crumbled bacon, and fresh parsley. Toss gently to combine. Top with ½ Greek yogurt dressing and toss again until ingredients are thoroughly coated. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight before serving. Cover and reserve remaining dressing, as well.
Toss chilled salad with remaining dressing right before serving, or serve on the side for those who prefer a little extra dressing. Sprinkle with the toasted pumpkin seeds right before serving to keep them crunchy.