Keto Vegetarian Frittata
The days of boiled Brussels Sprouts are dead.
15 mins prep
20-25 mins to cook
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
About this Recipe
Frittatas are often prepared in well-seasoned cast iron skillets or other non-stick ovenproof pans or cookware. However, a standard 10” non-stick skillet will also work provided you don’t try to pop it in the oven! If you want to cook this oven-style, you can put the ingredients into a 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish.
This savory frittata is easy to make and very versatile. The most difficult part is deciding whether you should enjoy it for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner.
- 6 eggs, large
- ¼ cup half & half
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 6 Portobello mushrooms, washed, stems (if any) chopped, and caps cut into thin slices
- 2 cups arugula, washed and dried
- 6 cherry tomatoes, washed and cut in half
- 2 oz. Feta cheese, cut into equal-size chunks
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- You can substitute heavy whipping cream for the half and half, but it will change the macros.
- If you don’t have arugula – try spinach.
- If you don’t have feta, use cheddar.
- If you don’t have portabellas, use white, or cremini, or whatever you have on hand.
- If you don’t want to cook this on the stovetop, you can put the ingredients into a 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish.
- Fat 58% 58%
- Carbs 14% 14%
- Protein 27% 27%
Step by Step Instructions
In a medium bowl, whisk together 6 eggs, half & half, water, sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper until blended. Set aside.
Add olive oil to a 10” non-stick skillet and heat over medium heat. Add portabella mushroom slices and chopped stems and cook approximately 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the mushrooms are browned, remove 3 uniformly sized mushroom slices from the pan and set aside.
Add arugula to pan and stir constantly until wilted, approximately 1-2 minutes.
With a spoon, spread ingredients into a uniform layer across the bottom of the pan, ensuring an even distribution of mushrooms and arugula throughout. Pour egg mixture on top and let cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the egg begins to set on bottom.
Reduce heat to just above the “low” setting and cover. Cook 8-9 minutes, then remove cover and arrange the 3 portabella strips, cherry tomato halves, and Feta chunks in a decorative pattern, if desired. If not, simply scatter those ingredients across the top of the frittata before covering again.
Cook for another 5-6 minutes, or until the egg is cooked through and the Feta has just begun to melt. Remove from heat and carefully transfer to a serving platter and cut into wedges.
Remove skillet from oven and serve immediately.