Sausage & Kale Soup
This is one of my favorite prep-ahead, grab and go meals. Let me tell you why.
During the weekend, I can slice up a tube of sausage into 6 chunks. I put those six chunks of sausage on a cookie rack, over a pan in the oven, and I bake the sausage until done. Then I package the sausage into individual snack-sized bags.
So, on a day I’m have sausage and kale soup, I get out my Crock Pot individual-size food warmer. Into it’s stainless steel cup I throw my chopped up sausage patty, the frozen kale, the bouillon cubes, and either 1 tbsp of coconut oil, butter, or heavy whipping cream. I SO NOT ADD THE WATER. I pop on the lid, and I go.
Now, whenever I get where I’m going (the office, etc), I get 2 cups of water, and plug the bad boy in. In an hour, I have a hot bowl of soup.
If you don’t care for sausage, you can use any ground meat of your choice. =) I’m easy that way.
- 2 oz ground pork sausage, cooked (2oz is pre-cooking weight, and I prefer hot sausage)
- 1/2 cup chopped, frozen kale (fresh spinach would work too.)
- 2 bouillon cubes
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Combine cooked sausage, kale, bouillon cubes, water, and heavy whipping cream in a pan over medium heat. Stir.
- Heat until warmed throughout and kale is tender.
- Serve with ground white pepper, or chipotle pepper flakes.